As you probably know, I’m not really a fan of doctors. As much a possible, I try and do what I can for myself with herbal remedies or whatever and save the doctor as a last resort. They serve their purpose for some things but a cold or sore throat… I feel like I have a handle on that. So, I’m just going to put a little bit of information on each ingredient so you’ll know how they are all helpful.
There are several different versions of this but I think the biggest thing is cayenne and apple cider vinegar. I use ACV for many remedies, it can be a problem solver and is very good for you. Here is the link to what I’m going to go over.
- Apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels of your throat’s tissues, making them more alkaline or more acidic according to your body’s needs. It also kills the bacteria that cause sore throats.
- It is also a natural expectorant, which means it loosens and thins the phlegm in your throat, making it easier to breath and swallow.
- It’s bacterial properties enable it to fight the infection that causes sore throats.
- It contains prebiotic inulin, which supports your immune system and boosts white blood cell and T-cell counts.
Cayenne contains a powerful ingredient called capsaicin. This compound is an effective anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent. When you take cayenne to treat your sore throat, you’ll experience relief as far as reduced swelling but also healing as it eliminates infection.
- Honey acts as a anti-inflammatory agent and reduces swelling and inflammation.
- It soothes irritated skin, glands, and mucus membranes inside the throat.
- It contains an enzyme called glucoseoxidase, which fights bacteria and kills infections.
- Honey has natural anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties that kill those bacteria and gives complete relief from sore throat.
- Honey acts as a hypertonic osmotic, helping to draw excess fluid out of inflamed tissues and relieve pain.
- Lemon contains (citrus acid) which helps to break up the mucus that causes sore throat and also helps to soothe your throat from the pain and inflammation.
- Lemon is rich in vitamin C and anti-oxidants which helps to boost your immune system.
- Lemon is a natural antiseptic which helps to kill the bacteria or viruses in the throat.
- Lemons are rich in several essential vitamins and nutrients.
- Lemon juice increases salivation and helps to moisten or lubricate an irritated throat.
Turmeric is an anti-biotic. It kills the bacteria or virus which causes sore throat
I think that pretty much covers the information side. Here is the recipe:
Sore Throat Remedy
- 2 tbs raw honey
- 3 tbs apple cider vinegar (Braggs is the best in my opinion)
- 1 fresh lemon squeezed for juice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 turmeric powder
Mix everything together and gargle a little for about 30 seconds then spit out. The cayenne will burn at first but you can get past it, it is way better than the alternative. Do this every couple hours and usually by the end of the day or the next day, the sore throat is gone. I’ve also seen other blogs for this kind of recipe that they claim kills strep throat but I can’t be sure because I haven’t had it and used this remedy.
Hope this works for you, it worked for me but know this– I’m not a doctor– know your limits. If you need to go to the doctor just go!